Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Happy New Year !




Belated New Year greetings ! Hope it proves to be a happy one for all .
 The marmalade season is upon us once more and today was the start of the annual  marathon. I only made fourteen jars this session because my wrists and hands were showing their age and protesting . Is it any wonder  ? When I think of all the writing,slicing, chopping,beating,mixing, spinning,knitting, sewing and at one time pounding the piano keys they have done I realised they have served me very well and been wonderful friends . Opening things is sometimes difficult now and I have to appeal for help with packets,tins and jars  although I have found that you can unscrew a milk container with the nut crackers.Sadly it often proves impossible to open the bathroom and kitchen cleaners  but I can usually manage the chocolate boxes and chocolate biscuit packets are no problem   either so the future is still  promising.
 It's good to get back to normal and resume all the usual activities . It will soon be Spring, It is cold but sunny today and the snowdrops are already peeping through in the front garden!

5 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Barbara,

You've done well with 14 jars!
There are all sorts of aids you can get to help unscrew jars these days! Hope you find one that works for you!

Ms Sparrow said...

I got some rubber grippers (rather like a pot holder) that help to open bottles. Tearing open packets is very hard and I sometimes resort to just stabbing them with a knife. My hands have been really stiff and weak this winter.
Did you get Sevilla oranges already to make marmalade? Your new supply of jars looks really yummy.

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi Christine Gradually finding ways and means to open things ! Rubber gloves fine for taking back off mobile

Hi Ms Sparrow
Thanks for comment Its surprising how you can improvise when you set your mind to it !
The seville orange season is very short here- usually just January

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

They look so good :)

helo win said...

nice post thanks for sharing such a useful information
toddler costume